Take nothing. No cellphones, computers, ipod's, money, cars, NOTHING. In the world we live in today this is so hard to imagine. But how can we be present to people and their needs when we are hiding behind blackberry's, computers and facebook. It is that hard to put it down, turn the TV off and have a conversation? Yes. I try, I'm not perfect. When someone comes into the office I make an effort to put all that stuff down and really listen to the concern of the student, or faculty member that has wondered into the office. I do this because they are a child of God, they are worth my time even it is someone who I don't really get along with. They are worth the time, because you never know why they have crossed your path.
Catholic Missionary. Haiti stole my heart. Jesus runs my life. Don't feed me gluten or dairy!
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Luke 9:1-6
Jesus summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick. He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic.Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there. And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them." Then they set out and went from village to village proclaiming the Good News and curing diseases everywhere.
There was a beautiful older man that came into my office just the other day. I wound up setting the computer down and listening to his story. He worked at my school in the 60's and was so excited to see the service opportunity's going on at my school. I never caught his name, but he was just this glowing angel. When I was talking to a faculty member about this man they had never heard of him, and they had wondered how he even got on campus. I simply smiled and said hey thanks God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment